Monday, October 21, 2013

Totally Digging Luz Handwovens

My good friend bought herself a loom recently, and is turning out some gorgeous handwoven wraps. (We're talking gorgeous to the point my husband noticed it, and he doesnt normally pay that much attention to my carriers.) In exchange for hemming and sewing some rings on, she let me try it out.

Did you ever have one of those amazingly soft and cuddly cotton blankets that are supposed to go on your bed, but are way more fun to cuddle up on the couch with? That's what this wrap feels like! Its super soft, and the colours are just amazing. And for support? Oh, this baby is lovely. I had Logan up for a good hour and a half and we had zero sag. Now I don't normally like gathered shoulders on my ring slings (they are too wide for me), but I can work with this one. This is a really textured wrap...it was about a size two before I chopped it down. We tried it in a ruck before I put the rings on, and it was fabulous. I only kept it for a day before I called Sarah to say I was bringing it back before I got seriously attached! Can't wait to see the one she has on the loom now (it's mine!).

If you are wondering what the difference is between this and other wrap makers...well, this one is all hand loomed. Some of the larger, well known brands such as Natibaby or Kokadi or Didymos are machine woven. Nothing wrong with that...I LURV me some Nati's! Machine weaving allows for some gorgeous complex designs and color combinations...with the added benefit of being a bit cheaper because they are easily mass produced. Handwoven wraps, on the other hand, are all handmade works of art. Weavers spend hours (think 15+) on one wrap. The benefit of a handwoven? Its more than likely going to be one of a kind, and some people say they are cushier than machine made. Now granted, alot of that cush depends on the yarn used, but honestly...its a work of art that can be passed down to your kids if taken care of properly. And like all works of art, the price tag on them is a little higher. But in the end, handwoven wraps are a great investment. And you can't ask for better than supporting (at least for me) a local mama. Check out Luz Handwovens on Facebook to see more of Sarah's amazing designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment